Thursday, June 22, 2006

Do you think your chances of meeting the right person are hampered if you are a Grammar Nazi? After all, there are many nice people who simply forget the rules once in awhile... right?

Or... will the times when he spells 'loose' instead of 'lose' or says 'there's' instead of 'there are' kill the passion and erode the infatuation?

Two schools of thought prevail in the minds of true Grammar Nazis: those who correct others and those who silently note the errors of their peers. Admittedly, I waffle between the two; neither of which are at all productive.

He says: "What's the chances of me and you going to dinner?" *sigh*

3 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Yes, I know the rule - it's the order: should be you and me (whenever you can take out the other person, and 'me' is correct, you know it's right) such as "Would you like to join Mike and me for dinner" ... correct. "Mike and I are going to dinner" ... correct. And it should be: What ARE the chances...

Fri Jun 23, 07:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Holly, having engaged you quite deliberately in mis-spellings and improper structure (you're quite cute when you're BRUDING about such things), I'd like to share with you how I have had to cope with people who couldn't string prose together if it hit them upside the head with a ball of yarn.

I have come to the conclusion; the best thing to do is require written samples of their writing by forcing them to type in real-time via MSN. No Email, no spell checking, natta nothen uh uh no opportunity for proof reading (my last “incident” with my ex-spouse is actually centered around this very issue. Apparently recommending the purchase of $200 worth of modern word processing software with support for a Canadian English Dictionary and Grammar checker is deemed “rude”, but I digress).

For those rare gems who's Email is completely incomprehensible, I quite enjoy the simple response of an Email consisting of only an attachment: "English Grammar for the Utterly Confused". ISBN 0-07-143097-0.

Cheers

awehttam

Sat Jul 15, 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Argh! Also, when someone asks you to attend a function, it's an INVITATION, not an 'invite' -- Invite is the verb you are performing when you ask someone to attend something.

It's not correct to say: "Thanks for the invite"...

Mon Jul 17, 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home