Tuesday, September 05, 2006



What in heaven's name
am I doing here?

For the first time today, I welled up with tears while talking over lunch with Lawrence. I’ve never done that around him because I thought it would freak him out.

It didn’t.

We were having a wonderful conversation about life’s purpose, and he asked me what it is that I truly want in life. The thing is: I don’t know…

I told him I have no idea, and he said, “Of course you do!”

I leaned forward and whispered, “No, I really don’t…” and that's when it happened.

He smiled, lowered his voice... and suggested I write a list of the things I like and the things I dislike, covering all aspects of life. He said it’s worthwhile even if the LIKE side only listed things like ‘pistachios’ -- at least it would be a start.

Peanut butter. I don’t like peanut butter. Oysters either. Oh man, this isn’t going to be easy….

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all – be thankful for friends like Lawrence – who cut to the chase and ask the really important questions …

Second – I think what anyone truly wants out of life is to understand ‘what it’s all about’ and then to make their own ‘mark’ on the world – not just any old mark, but a really meaningful mark -- one that makes their own life satisfying and leaves the world a better place for them having lived in it …

There’s another ‘list’ that includes some significant criteria – your beliefs, your understanding of ‘truth’ and your values – and it’s important to be sure that they really do satisfy you. Never stop challenging those criteria and fine-tuning them.

If we focus on trying to live according to our beliefs, truths, and values there is no question that we will leave an indelible mark on our world !!

I’m sure that those whose lives you’ve already touched will agree that you have left a unique and positive imprint …

I wouldn’t worry too much about the peanut butter -- but don’t forget that oysters sometimes hold pearls …

Wed Sep 06, 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger Do said...

Twenty years from now
you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do
than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
~M. Twain

A little re-evaluation of life is good for the soul I think. Am I in the right place, the right job, the right relationship? What makes me happy? So many people don't ask until it's too late or they are too tired to care. No one is happy all of the time. Good for you for looking inward and having the courage to starting the questioning. Though the winds may be rough, there are many of us out here past the harbour.

Wed Sep 27, 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Wise words from wise women. Thank you.

Sun Oct 01, 10:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home